Moth Mis-matches in BOLD Systems V4

BOLD specimens are the defacto gold standard for much of Australian
moth ID. So to have uncovered more than a dozen conspicuous errors
in placement is cause for some concern. Here I will begin a listing of the
more obvious errors.

The page for Oenochroa

includes this entry
which represents
Oenochroma subistraria

The page for Philobota

is erroneously populated by a

and a

Pantydia sp. (or similar);

This "Dasygaster padockina";
is a
Paralaea ... not dissimilar to P. chionopasta;

Picromorpha ... includes odd one out


Publicado el octubre 9, 2018 09:29 TARDE por vicfazio3 vicfazio3


Those are quite spectacular errors.
Worth dropping a line to Len Willan perhaps:
There are also numerous geospatial errors with BOLD [not as bad as with plant material at AVH], understandably with poorly documented old specimens, but also some simple stuff like substituting the actual collection site with the repository site.


Publicado por dustaway hace más de 5 años

I do notice that the mismatches lead nowhere in the system.
A click on the 'Public Data' link leads to 'zero results'

Publicado por dustaway hace más de 5 años

there may be some clean up ongoing. An Anestia I found among Epitymbia is no longer present, although I did just add a misplaced Paralaea.

Publicado por vicfazio3 hace más de 5 años

Report errors to .

Publicado por ianmcmillan hace más de 5 años

Hi Victor,
This is definitely not the right medium to get in contact with you (for which I apologise), I'm trying to reach out in relation to using one of your images for an educational resource. My email is I would love to use your image of Hypolepis muelleri with acknowledgment if ok. Would love for you to get in touch! Thanks, Sophie

Publicado por sophiegolding hace más de 5 años

Agregar un comentario

Acceder o Crear una cuenta para agregar comentarios.